Color Hair Naturally
Top Five Way to Color Hair Naturally by Asgar Saboo
Natural is the hot new trend this summer, as people revert to their original shiny healthy hair that is a classic, timeless color. Although a number of celebrities can be seen sporting their baby-blue strands, rainbow wisps, cinnamon swirls, lilac tresses or neon colors that make a statement but the tendency is to opt for dipped ends and highlights. A major reason is a heavy cost in terms of the lost texture and the amount of chemical exposure for the scalp. Coloring one’s hair, without resorting to chemical dyes, seems like a difficult proposition but what is the natural alternative…
A renowned figure among celebrities and a regular on red carpets, the name Asgar Saboo is synonymous with headline grabbing, style-worthy hair. He is trusted by A-list stars such as Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Katrina Kaif, Deepika Padukone and legend Rekha as well as supermodels Cindy Crawford, Twiggy and Hollywood actress, Eva Longoria. His work, cutting-edge and sophisticated hairstyles and his hair creations have been showcased at glittering premieres, showbiz events, and multiple awards ceremonies. The UK based hair maestro Asgar Saboo, shares with us a step by step guide on how to create gorgeous hue’s with natural elements, for an unaffected style that’s perfect for the summer sun.
The Dark Coffee Tint
If you naturally have dark hair or even a lighter hue but want to go a shade darker this summer, coffee is the perfect solution for a natural home DIY hair dye. It may require two or more applications but the advantage of using coffee is that coffee helps with hair growth, it adds shine to dull hair and after a one-hour application, the hair will be much softer.
1) Mix 2 cups of leave-in-conditioner with 2 tablespoons of organic coffee grounds and 1 cup of cold brewed coffee. Prepare a few cups to cover the whole head.
3) Pour over clean hair & cover with a shower cap. Let it sit for about an hour. If you want a darker shade, then leave the hair dye on for a longer period of time or even overnight.
4) Afterward, use apple cider vinegar to rinse the coffee out of the hair. This will also help seal in the color. Finally, rinse with warm water
5) Repeat the process twice a week until hair reaches the desired shade and follow up every week or two to freshen up the color.
The Lightning Lemon Mix
This lemon mix works best when the sun is out and can naturally dry the mixture into the hair. The sun also works as a natural highlighter by taking away the melanin that gives hair its pigment. This is the no-fail remedy for lighter locks in the summer. The benefit of using lemon is that it acts as a cleanser for hair and for oily scalps, it can help reduce the extra oil while getting rid of any dandruff.
1) Use one cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice with three cups of strong chamomile tea
2) Soak hair in the mixture and let your hair dry in the sun & then rinse the hair out
3) Choose a good nourishing conditioner after rinsing, as lemon can dry out the hair.
4) Repeat this 2-3 times per week for best results.
Tip: If you desire highlights in your hair, divide the hair and drag the mixture through chosen sections. The lemon will just add highlights to the areas covered by the mix.
The Nourishing Henna Dye
Henna is a natural dye and hair treatment that is very popular in Asian countries. Henna contains compounds that stain the hair or skin a dark red or brown color and this makes it a wonderful, natural hair dye. Although after using henna, the hair cannot absorb color from conventional dyes. However, as a natural ingredient, it nourishes the hair making it beautifully silky and smooth and at the same time it has the same benefits as coffee or lemon.
1) Brew natural henna powder to a dense, muddy paste
2) Essential oils, vinegar, and even eggs can be added to make the henna even more potent and nourishing for the hair.
3) Apply this mixture to the hair and leave on for as long as possible. To get a deeper color, leave on overnight with a shower cap to protect other materials from getting the henna stain.
4) Rinse out and condition.
The Beautiful Beetroot and Carrot Juice Soak
If you were not lucky enough to be born with red hair, it is very hard to achieve a natural red by using dyes. Beetroot vegetable juice allows you to have a beautiful natural rich red without the dye or the damage; it is particularly effective in preventing hair loss.
1) Combine equal parts beetroot juice and carrot juice. If a deeper red is preferred, use more beetroot or if a softer red is desired use slightly more carrot.
2) Massage the mixture into your hair and cover with a shower cap.
3) Apply heat from a hairdryer for a few minutes to set the color. The longer you leave on the deeper the color will be.
4) Rinse out and condition
The Everyday Vinegar Rinse
Like Lemon, vinegar acts as a natural lightener over a period of time and it can give you beautiful results in the summer. Vinegar, in addition to cleansing the hair, which means it will remove scaly build up, it has a tonic action which promotes blood flow in the capillaries that irrigate the skin.
1) Mix a 1:1 ratio of apple cider vinegar with distilled water.
2) Pour into an empty hair spritz bottle.
3) Spray all over to lighten all of your hair or apply with a brush for strands of highlights.
4) Leave on 30 minutes and rinse out.
Tip: You can also use with baking powder in your daily shower routine instead of using shampoo.
These natural dyes nurture the scalp to promote hair growth; they cleanse hair and remove the build-up of from shampoos and other chemical products, they help remove bacteria or fungus that cause dandruff or itchy scalps and finally they leave the hair shiny, smooth and fresh.