Veal Parmesan – Recipe
Veal meat has its own special flavor and taste. It is the meat of calves, and in contrast to the beef from older cattle has a softer and chewy texture. Veal is a perfect combination of flavors and comfort and when combined with parmesan makes a delectable dinner staple. Here’s the recipe to try out today!
Prep Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 100 min
Difficulty Level: Medium
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 cubes Maggi® Chicken Stock
- 8 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
For veal cutlets:
- 400g veal pieces, flattened
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 box spaghetti pasta
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped.
- Preheat oven to 1750C and place oven rack in middle position.
- To make tomato sauce: In a saucepan heat olive oil and sauté onions until soft. Add garlic, tomato paste and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add hot water, Maggi® Chicken Stock, tomatoes, basil, rosemary and allow to simmer for 1 hour.
- To make veal cutlets: Flatten veal pieces using a kitchen mallet, taking care not to break the pieces.
- Mix breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese together.
- Dust flattened veal with flour, dip in the beaten eggs, and coat with breadcrumbs and parmesan mixture.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan and fry veal cutlets on both sides until golden brown.
- Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente. Drain pasta, discard water and return to empty pot.
- Pour over 2/3 of the pasta sauce and mix well until all pasta is coated.
- Place pasta in a baking dish, sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese on top, arrange cooked veal cutlets over the cheese and spoon over the remaining pasta sauce over the cutlets.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley before serving.