Halal Cuisine in Orange County California
Orange County in California is the perfect destination for Arabic and Halal cuisine.
Mulsim travelers need to look no further than Orange County, California – known worldwide as “The OC” – for their next foodie vacation. Home to an Arab-American enclave known as “Little Arabia”, The OC boasts one of the country’s most tantalizing collections of halal restaurants in the U.S.
“California is home to the largest Middle Eastern immigrant population in the U.S., with one of the hot spots right here in The OC,” says OCVA President Ed Fuller. “The Little Arabia District celebrates Arab culture and cuisine in the heart of Orange County, so visitors craving a taste of home have their pick of fantastic Halal cuisine in multiple cities throughout the region.”
Little Arabia in Anaheim comprises ethnic markets, Halal butcher shops, restaurants, cafes, bakeries, hookah lounges, clothing stores, beauty salons and much more. Arab-American expats have been drawn to the region for decades and it’s now a beacon for travelers seeking a taste of Arabian culture.
Below are a few restaurants and cafes in Little Arabia:
- Koftegi (Turkish Mediterranean); 816 S. Brookhurst Street, Anaheim; (714) 635-4353; Koftegi has paired their fresh baked goods and bread with simple, fresh ingredients and 100% halal meats to create a simple, yet elevated dish. Each menu item is their take on traditional Lebanese and Turkish cuisine to create a unique Mediterranean flavor experience.
- El Mahroosa Restaurant & Hookah Cafe (Middle Eastern); 930 S Brookhurst St., Anaheim; (714) 991-9200; El Mahroosa Restaurant & Hookah Café located in the heart of Little Arabia District in Anaheim, California is Orange County’s own authentic Middle Eastern restaurant. They serve only the freshest and highest quality meats and vegetables for their food. They also serve all of your favorite hookah brands and flavors including Alfakher, Starbuzz, and Nakhla.
- Nara Bistro (Middle Eastern); 1220 S Brookhurst St., Anaheim; (714) 991-6800; Nara Bistro is a lively corner lounge & hookah bar serving Middle Eastern fare, with regular DJs & dancing.
- Luxor Lounge (Mediterranean); 12105 Brookhurst St., Garden Grove; (714) 530-2222; Luxor Mediterranean Hookah Lounge provides a relaxing atmosphere for anyone looking to enjoy fresh, authentic Egyptian cuisine and a wide range of Hookah flavors.
In addition to Little Arabia, Orange County boasts nearly 20 different halal restaurants across the region. The OC’s many authentic halal dining options cover multiple ethnicities including Chinese, Thai, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines.
10 Halal Restaurants in The OC
- Hatam Restaurant; 1112 N. Brookhurst St., Anaheim; (714) 991-6262; Popular choice for classic Persian dishes such as meat & vegetable kebabs in a comfortable room.
- Sahara Falafel; 590 S Brookhurst St, Anaheim; (714) 491-0400; No-frills restaurant for classic Middle Eastern bites such as hummus & falafel amid barebones decor.
- Mas’ Chinese Islamic Restaurant; 601 E Orangethorpe Ave, Anaheim, CA 92801; (714) 446-9553; Array of classic eats including spiced beef & orange chicken in an airy spot with high ceilings.
- Tandoor Fresh; 1500 Adams Ave #100a, Costa Mesa; (714) 444-4407; Bright, casual counter-serve eatery dishing up a menu of popular Indian & Pakistani fare.
- Mezzet Mediterranean Cuisine; 3333 Bear St #118, Costa Mesa; (714) 540-3365; Mediterranean meals are dished out in a casual modern setting at this shopping-center cafe & bar.
- The Halal Guys; 3033 Bristol St E, Costa Mesa; (714) 850-1080; Offshoot of a famed food cart offering gyros, chicken & rice platters & other Middle Eastern fares.
- Pom and Olive; 1400 Bristol St C, Costa Mesa; (714) 754-1974; Comfy, relaxed restaurant with outdoor seating dishing up baba ghanoush, lamb shawarma & more.
- Genie Den; 12563 Harbor Blvd, Garden Grove; (714) 636-8600; Casual counter-serve eatery offering Mediterranean cooking including falafel & shawarma.
- Coach’s Mediterranean Grill & Bar; 200 Main St #105, Huntington Beach; (714) 969-2233; Casual eatery featuring typical dishes such as pizza, gyros & kebabs, plus a full bar with TVs.
- Lotus Chinese Eatery; 16883 Beach Blvd, Huntington Beach; (714) 848-4940; Casual, modern Chinese restaurant serving specialties such as Hunan spicy lamb & crispy duck.
The Orange County Visitors Association’s Dubai outpost promotes Orange County tourism to guests from the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, and Qatar. In addition to welcoming restaurants, Middle Eastern travelers find an endless amount of attractions to explore, from the original Disneyland Resort to shopping at the world-famous South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island to luxury oceanfront resorts to historic monuments, museums, and so much more. This diversity and incredible coastal location makes The OC a premier and cultured California destination.
“With Emirates, Etihad Airways and Saudi Airlines currently serving our market, we believe Orange County is the perfect locale for visitors to experience the best of Southern California,” says Ed Fuller.
Orange County has always enthusiastically and proudly welcomed visitors from all Middle East regions and faiths to enjoy eating, shopping and vacationing in the heart of Southern California. These sought-after world-travelers consider The OC a must-see destination offering idyllic year-round weather, cultural attractions, world-class entertainment, luxury resorts and suite hotels, and casually-sophisticated Southern California style.
*Featured image: https://lithub.com/5-reasons-why-a-writer-should-move-to-orange-county/