Chicken Vol-au-vent – Recipe
There’s nothing like warm and soft Chicken Vol Au Vent, the classic French puff pastry. A perfect starter for breaking the fast during Iftar time, A vol-au-vent is typically made by cutting two circles in rolled out puff pastry with a hole in one of them. Here’s the easy recipe using very handy ingredients.
• 14 pieces puff pastry squares
• 1 egg, beaten (for egg-wash)
• 1 tsp. vegetable oil
• 2 medium chicken breasts, cut into 1cm cubes
• 1 medium red capsicum, seeded and diced
• 2 cups white mushrooms, chopped
• 2 cups skimmed milk
• 1 sachet Maggi® Bechamel Mix
• 6 tbsp. green onions, chopped
• 1 tsp. black pepper, freshly cracked
1. Place two pieces of puff pastry over each other, cut into shape, place on a baking tray and brush with egg wash. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 20 minutes until risen and golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, heat butter in a saucepan, sauté chicken pieces until fully cooked, add capsicum and mushrooms and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
3. Add milk and Maggi® Bechamel Mix and gently stir over medium heat until sauce is thick.
4. Spoon the filling into the prepared pastry and garnish with green onions and black pepper.